- Question to challenge the status quo.
- Watch people, especially potential customers. Watch how customers experience a product or service in their natural environment. Focus on what’s different than you expected.
- Seek training outside your expertise. Take apart a product or process just to see how it works.
- Rather than network to gain access to resources or to market yourself, connect with others simply to find and test new ideas. This will widen your perspective,” Dyer says. Contact the five most creative people you know and ask them to share what they do to stimulate creative thinking.
- Go to conferences that include people from outside your industry. (oooo scary!)
- Connecting seemingly unrelated questions and ideas is the skill that brings all the others together, Dyer explains. But associating is triggered by new knowledge that is acquired through questioning, observing, experimenting, and networking.